[Lab] dust control on small cnc

Darcy Whyte darcy at inventorArtist.com
Tue Aug 26 09:55:03 EDT 2014

So I was just dusting around my CNC and after shoveling it off the floor
underneath I think it's time to finally get this under control.

I had this idea of making a box around it (very light out of thin wood and
use some clear plastic sheet (like from a clear shower curtain). The theory
was that the machine would do it's business under the curtain, then after
the dust is settled, I lift it and remove the workpiece. I imagined having
it on a hoist so I could just move it up to the ceiling.

Then I  got thinking, boy that would be a big awkward ugly mess.

What about just building a box on the gantry that would ride along the
gantry. The front flap could flip up and drape over the top (like those old
cameras with the curtain you could get access to the cutting area even when
it's running).

I thought wow, that'd be a much smaller box and could probably stay
attached all the time.

Then I got thinking... what about just building a box around the the
truck/cutter. Then it would ride back and forth on the gantry. It'd be
smaller.

The dust would be prone to float around inside it but if the skirt is close
to the workpiece not much dust would escape... So it would mostly settle on
the workpiece...

At that rate you may as well attach a vacuum.

But then we're back where we started. I made one of those and the little
skirt got in the way and the vacuum was noisy.... And it was a pain to
change the endmill.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have all the dust settle on the work
area and not get airborn...

Thoughts?

I'm stuck in a loop.

--
Darcy Whyte

Art+ inventorArtist.com <http://inventorartist.com/> | Aviation
rubber-power.com
Contact: darcy at inventorArtist.com | 613-563-3634 by appointment (no text)