[Lab] afordable printing???

Michael Scott michael.scott at ocsb.ca
Fri Apr 11 14:16:37 EDT 2014

Check out the $100 3D printer, past kickstarter phase...from a guy in
Saskatchewan. Truly innovative, runs from your soundcard.

http://www.peachyprinter.com/

Mike

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Ken McKinnon <klmckinnon at rogers.com> wrote:

> While I agree with everything you said, there is part of me that thinks
> that supporting some of these great ideas will at some point, launch the
> next great idea.  I did it with the Pixycam, and keep looking for other new
> ideas that I wouldn't mind throwing my limited support behind.
>
> But you are absolutely right that it will be late, probably half again as
> long as they say.  The Pixycam was supposed to ship in Nov (if I recall
> correctly), I got it Tuesday.
>
> I think the Leap 3D controller was from there as well, and it is a cool
> little gadget that I am still not sure where it fits, but....
>
> Set your expectations to low, your tolerance to high and remember that it
> is a kickstarter...not a finished product, and the goal of kickstarter is
> to crowdsource new ideas with unproven groups.  Heck, most of the ideas
> would be laughed off of Dragon's Den, never mind a corporate board!
>
> Ken
>

> On 2014-04-10 11:37 AM, aaron at ottawarobotics.org wrote:
>
>> A 3D printer in the lab is worth two on Kickstarter.... Or so the saying
>> goes I suppose.
>>
>> Its likely not a scam, but it looks to me like the initial $199 and $249
>> prices were there simply to drive demand and jump start the kickstarter.
>> That initial boost in the earnings of the kickstarter brings the rest in at
>> the higher prices where they actually have a chance of making some money.
>>
>> I'll be surprised if they hit their time targets though... it seems
>> pretty aggressive unless they already have everything sorted.
>>
>> Anyhow, buying something like that on kickstarter where you can't
>> expected to even see it for another year is madness. There are plenty of
>> lower priced printers on the market already that can be bought and used
>> immediately. Sell that one when the kickstarter is over and the new printer
>> is proven.
>>
>> Aaron
>>

>> On 2014-04-09 14:05, andrew Szeto wrote:
>>
>>> Pretty interesting thread over on reddit about all of this today:
>>> http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/22jhlw/
>>> cheap_3d_printer_raises_1_million_on_kickstarter/
>>>
>>> definitely a skeptic on this end, but awesome if they can make it
>>> happen.
>>>
>>>  Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 13:59:26 -0400

>>> first-truly-consumer-3d-printer

Michael A. Scott
Dept Head of Technological Education and Computer Studies
St. Francis Xavier High School
3740 Spratt Road
Gloucester, ON
K1V 2M1
Phone:     613-822-7900
Cell/Text:  613-407-9013
Fax:         613-822-0214
michael.scott at ocsb.ca
photowagon at gmail.com
http://photowagon.ca
Facebook: ThePhotowagon
Twitter: ThePhotowagon

--
*ocsb.ca <http://ocsb.ca/>* | *Inspired education. Inspiring students.*

Think "green," please consider the environment before printing this email.

*Confidentiality and privacy notice: This email, including any attachments,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you received this email
and are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by email reply
and destroy all copies of the original message. This email and any
emails sent to or from the Ottawa Catholic School board may be
transmitted or stored outside of Canada. *