[Lab] Chemistry help: moding Inkjet Printers

Stephane Beauchamp-Kiss stephane.beauchampkiss at gmail.com
Mon May 27 16:40:54 EDT 2013

Jason,

Great ideas there. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm drawn to
using standard paper and ink becasue the printers are calibrated to
work with that and are most likely to print accurately. This is
particularly true if I'm looking at something as large as a plotter
for big stencils.

The issue is safety + clean dissolving of the printed area.

I know there are many chemicals that could do this done. Your
suggestion of phosphorus + heat is a good idea, I'll need to explore
this, but i'm concerned that with autoignition of paper, the burn will
continue past the printed area and you won't end up with a clean
stencil. Something to try!

Photosensitive silkscreening is actually not an application I've
tried, since I've never had a darkroom. You've got an interesting idea
there, but I'd like to focus on the cut stencil idea. I did fail to
explain that this is currently my main method for creating stencils -
I'm skilled at hand cutting large, detailed stencils with an sharp
blade over a lit surface. But, as you can imagine, this takes up huge
time resources for complicated designs.

What I would love to do is create a safe DIY kit for others to follow.
Many chemicals that I know will do the trick are either dangerous (ie,
calcium carbide in the ink then misting the paper with water would
work but will release acetylne) or probably won't work right (NMMO).
That's why I'm hoping someone on here with a chemistry background can
really help me identify a chemical that would work nicely for this
application.

Any more ideas out there?

     Stephane Arthur Kiss, M.A.Sc
     Producer: Art, Music, Design