[Lab] Laser Update

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Thu May 23 14:38:40 EDT 2013

Not sure you need a vortex, the air from a laser is chemically dirty and
not that physically dirty.

Any old blower like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reliance-1-3HP-Size-53-Duty-Master-Motor-C56H310N4-XU-with-New-York-Blower-Unit-/390560005343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aef30bcdf

For convenience the input hose size could match the exhaust hose on the
machine. Also, I'd probably look for one with the output facing up or
sideways instead of down since that one will probably have to overhang a
ledge.

I don't think you need much power or pressure difference. The cleaner on
the artengine laser barely moves any air sometimes. As long as the air is
moving. Although I noticed with a large workpiece it needs a stronger
airflow.

Here's the one that came with my laser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQ8JjrX1SU

That thing was overkill. The motor fried eventually and I traded it for a
working one with Michael (good deal!). It was a little noisy and the one I
got from Michael was from a fume hood from a kitchen or something. It's
very quiet so now the only thing that makes noise is the @#$$$$%$#$@# air
compressor for the air assist.

I think my other blower fried because it was too big a blower. There was a
bit too much drag for that high volume of air, perhaps I should have
configured it to draw some air from the room too...

--
Darcy Whyte

Art+ inventorArtist.com | Aviation rubber-power.com | Software Since '88
siteware.com | Contact: darcy at siteware.com | 613-563-3634 by appointment |
Canada N 45° 25'03.1" W 75° 42'21.4"