[Lab] [Bulk] Wiring Project Feedback / Support

Ken klmckinnon at rogers.com
Wed May 1 20:55:38 EDT 2013

I think you are running into the USB Host versus slave issue.  For a
host, it can provide +5VDC, and a slave expects that voltage.  A OTG
(on-the-go) device detects and sources or sinks as necessary.   We have
a few i-thingy's about the house, and I can not think of a peripheral
where the i-thingy acts as host.  (to be fair, I don't have one, so
speak from outside the circle).  There is a handshake routine where
those things are decided assuming the drivers are present.
I would suspect the problem that you are having is that you can not
power the mic as the mic is in slave mode and the i-thingy does not act
as host, and/or there is no online driver for the USB interface of the
mic for the i-family.
Hacking it to provide an analog interface may be possible, but since the
output is digital USB your talking hacking at the hardware level inside
the mic.
In addition, the line in/out would be non-powered.

I would suspect that your best option would be to look at a analog
solution and provide voltage for the mic from a battery, inputting
through your speaker/mic interface, but others may have better ideas.

As an aside, my colleagues and I were talking about the functionality of
smartphone devices today and the capability of these devices being
whatever you need with the barest of interfaces, just dependent on
imagination.  You have an entire fairly powerful computer in your
pocket....we live in interesting times!

Ken