[Lab] Wiring Project Feedback / Support

Jamie jamie at steppinofftheedge.com
Wed May 1 11:21:39 EDT 2013

Currently using a powered USB mic (Audio Technica
AT2010<http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/c75c5918ed57a8d0/index.html>)
with laptop to record podcast <http://steppinofftheedge.com>.

Goal is to be able to connect it to iPhone to reduce gear size for
interview setup, but the powered part of USB is proving to be a challenge.
Tried using a USB Hub but no luck. I think instead of having audio go via
the 30-pin connector it has to send via the headphone jack. Not sure if
hitting an unpossible digital/analog wall in this scenario. I have
materials to hack an extra iPhone USB charge wire, USB power wire and
headphone jack together but hoping someone can confirm what I'm trying to
do is possible before I start down that path.

Related Links:

   - Non-Powered Mic Hack:

   http://benttronics.blogspot.ca/2009/05/audio-breakout-cable-for-ipodiphone.html

   - iPhone 30 pin out guide
   http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

   - More context from a reddit thread on the idea a year ago:

   http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/fmavw/solve_a_portable_microphone_challenge_win_for_you/

I might be able to make it out to the modlab tonight and wondering if
anyone is going to be there with interest / time to help point the way on
this type of project?

Thx,
Jamie