[Lab] Controlling Light with a Ventilator

Kirk Sutherland kirk.sutherland at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 01:13:17 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,

Connecting the Pi to a projector can be done with an HDMI cable or
Composite cable as the Pi outputs both (but HDMI would be better!).

The Pi comes with nothing more then a circuit board so you will need the
following:

1. A video cable (hdmi or composite)

2. A power supply which can be any USB wall charger that can supply 1amp -
an iphone charger works well.

3. Keyboard and mouse (just for setup you wont need them while its running)

4. A SD Memory card - go for one that is 4Gb or more, class 10 (although I
use a class 6 just fine) and is from a well known company like Sandisk.

5. Case is optional :) Some people just poke holes in the box that it comes
in, I made mine on the laser cutter at M70 - you can see it in the youtube
video sitting beside the monitor.

6. The sensor you listed has an analog output which the Pi can't read so
you will need an analog to digital converter with it. Last week I ordered a
MCP3008 ($4) which is a 10-Bit ADC for the upcoming workshop. I will let
you know if I get it to work.

Have you tried back lighting the canvas yet? Even just a flash light would
probably show you if the light will come through.

Cheers!
Kirk