[Lab] The Big Plan - Chris B

Michael Sepa michaelsepa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 08:41:04 EDT 2013

Chris,

The clarification of the project really helps out.  I looked up the manual for the Puritan Bennet LP10 (http://www.meql.com/Manuals/Puritan-Bennett-LP6-Plus-and-10-Ops-Manual.pdf) in the hope that there would be a simple electronic monitor connector on the back that you could hook into, but no such luck.  There are pressure alarms that can be set and a remote alarm connection on the back of the machine, but you'll get audible alarms off the machine at the same time.  Not what you intend.

One approach would be to do the following:

1. Lights start off, no ventilator pressure
2. Ventilator turns on, a microphone beside the patient air tube senses flow
3. Arduino detects change from microphone
4. Arudino uses pulse width modulation[2] to brighten an LED array from off to full on in 1.5s, and holds
5. Ventilator turns off
6. Microphone detects stop of flow from patient air tube
7. Arduino uses pulse width modulation to dim an LED array from current level to off in 1.5s and holds

[1] pulse width modulation is just a fancy way to say turn on/off the LED array fast enough to control brightness.  This is built into the Arduino system, so it's very easy.

Connecting to and dimming an LED array with an Arduino is well understood.  No issues there.

The microphone will require an amp chip to get it producing a signal the Arduino can easily read.  If we can find a pre-made microphone and amp, then it will be all so much easier.

The programming of the system would be straight forward.  Certainly less than a day of effort.

The system would work well if the room was reasonably quiet.  If there was other noise it might trigger the microphone causing premature light adjustment.  A better approach would be to use a pressure sensor.  I checked ebay and see several pressure sensors available, all use I2C interfaces.  That would take a bit more programming effort, but certainly less than a day or two.

If you go with a pressure sensor, we'd need to makes sure the sensor has the right range to sense the ventilator pressure.  That I couldn't get from the quick ebay search because they don't usually publish specs with sale items.  I'm confident  we could find an appropriate one on ebay, spark fun, or somewhere else.

As for your budget, I'd think you should have no issues buying all the tech plus paying someone a small honorarium for helping you program it all.

My big question would be what's your schedule?

-Michael Sepa