[Lab] Controlling Light with Sound

The Big Plan - Chris B tbp at ghostwise.com
Thu Mar 14 17:49:08 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the awesome replies so far. I think I should clarify my
intentions:

My plan is to suspend a loose canvas that is approximately 7 by 11
feet on an angle from the ceiling.

I would like to put lighting behind it (I don't know what lighting to
use or whether it
should be a set of lights). The rest of the room will be dark.

A ventilator (Puritan Bennett LP10) will be on the floor. Every breath
of the ventilator
should cause the lights to turn on in a gradual way and then dim dark
as the breath
ends. Each breath should take about 1.2-1.5 seconds.

I like the idea of an Arduino or Raspberry Pi controlling the lighting.

It sounds like I will also need a mic by the ventilator.

Finally, I have zero programming experience or overall technical
experience to do this. I'm the artist
with a vision. I would appreciate assistance from anyone interested in
this project.

It would be great if it could be done on a $250-500 budget.

Thanks in advance,

Chris