[Lab] Beer-bottle etched audio

j ross waterfallclose at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 14:51:34 EDT 2013

an interesting challenge - I'm not sure you could create a groove that is
compatible with standard phono cartridges since that would require a fairly
precise "V" shaped groove of the order of ~1mil.  That's relatively
straightforward for a lathe bit but I'm not sure a laser cutter has that
kind of depth/width resolution. It would be interesting to try though. The
quality would depend on how critical that "V" shape is and what the laser
groove profile actually is.
For stereo you would need transverse and depth modulation which are both
possible. (Again just a question of profile)
You would also need an algorithm to convert the stereo waveforms to a mix
of transverse and depth modulations since the relationship is not simple.
 ie. a phono needle separates left from right by measuring needle movements
at a 45 degree angle to the surface normal.
Who wants to try it?