[Lab] 3d scanning anyone?

James Allanson james.d.allanson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 18:17:29 EST 2012

I will bring my scanning rig Nov 7th.  I will be a bit early so I can
unpack/setup.  Bringing my desktop, Kinect and tripod.

If anyone is handy with fixing 3D models (making it watertight/printable),
please bring your skills, software and computer.  I can do some fixing
using Meshmixer and Meshlab but my skills are quite amateur :D .

For those wanting their likeness in 3D, either bring something in to copy
the files to (USB stick) or we can upload them to a website (ie
Thingiverse) so you can grab them at a later date.

Technically the scan area is anywhere from a person's face, to an entire
room.  Some objects need to have multiple passes.  These limits can be
pushed further if you have the right lenses in front of a Kinect (which I
don't have... yet :D ).

Reconstructme outputs to STL, OBJ, 3DS and PLY.  In my experience STL is
the one you want if you want it printed on a 3D printer later.

It would probably be a lot to do if we scanned and printed the same night.
 Maybe at a future modlab we can bring in a few 3D printers, and print out
people's heads?