[Lab] Musical Jellies

Jason Cobill jason.cobill at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:52:30 EDT 2012

   Check this fun project out - touch-sensitive musical jellies. :)
   http://vimeo.com/38796545

   They have a technical sheet here:
   http://pluvinage.eu/NOISYJELLY_presskit.pdf

   Short version: They mould jellies using jelly powder and differing
concentrations of salt. The jellies are put over a thin wooden board, with
a metal foil plate beneath it, hooked up to an arduino using a capacitance
sensing library. The arduino connects to a laptop running Max/msp, which
takes the capacitance change inputs as midi controls and generates sounds
from a sound library.

   Very neat - I'm attracted to the bright colours and weird textures. The
"musical" noises might sound more harmonious if they were all notes from a
consistent chord or something - right now it sounds like random bleeps and
bloops and listening to it for an hour at an installation would make you
crazy.
   I wonder how long the jellies last being manipulated? Maybe a silicon
gel would be more durable? In the demo video a girl rips the long saw-shape
in half before long and it doesn't resist much.

   -Jason Cobill