[Lab] We want to meet hackers world wide

ohai at hackitat.com ohai at hackitat.com
Thu Aug 9 16:22:09 EDT 2012

 Hi we are making a documentary about the global hacker culture,
 especially, the political side of hacking. We are emailing spaces around
 the world to see what kind of interesting projects that are in process
 so that we can feature them in the documentary. We want to tell the
 story of the hacker community with the voices of the hackers themselves.
 We also want to do a film about the global hacker culture visiting the
 four corners of the earth.

 Below is a text about the film.

 On the 29th of November 2009 Malmö's hackerspace Forskningsavdelningen
 was raided by masked riot police.

 Armed with batons and pepper spray they stormed the social center where
 the hackerspace housed and confiscated computers and other technical
 equipment.

 One of the people detained was a hacker named mackt. With a background
 in The Pirate Bay, for him the raid was yet another proof of society’s
 mistrust and lack of understanding of hacker culture.

 After the incident he wanted to do something about the distorted image
 of hackers. He contacted the film collective RåFILM in Malmö and the
 idea was born to make a documentary that explains the political aspects
 of hacker culture beyond the simplifications and preconceptions.

 The film will take them out on a long trip to the famous and infamous
 hackers and activists around the world, hackers that express themselves
 artistically and politically through technology. What are their
 motivations? What are the politics and activism hacker culture has
 shaped out? How does this impact our world? The film will feature unique
 encounters with people that usually elude the public. It will crash land
 in the middle of the conflict currently taking place between those who
 want to keep the technology and the Internet free and those who want to
 control it.

 Cheers, Alex, Gonzalo and Mackt

 This is our crowdfunding. Please spread or support if you like
 http://www.indiegogo.com/hackitat-a-film-about-political-hacking-world-wide

 ---
 http://hackitat.com
 Here is our PGP key for sensitive inquiries:
 http://hackitat.com/pgp.asc
 XMPP: hackitat at jabber.ccc.de
 Skype: Gonzalo_pr,  mackt_, rafilm_veitch