[Lab] Modlab Logo (Michael Coyle)

Mark Stephenson mark.b.stephenson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:03:20 EDT 2012

No kidding Andrew, spent a little while checking out your site! Nice works.

Out of curiosity, in the In transit piece (
http://www.aomalley.org/lighting/in_transit.html) how did you get the
colours to come through the acrylic so cleanly? is it entirely edge lit
with coloured LEDs below clear acrylic panels or are the
acrylic panels themselves coloured.

Thanks,
Mark

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Andrew O'Malley <aomalley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aw, wish I could join in on this, this is right up my alley!
>
> Looking forward to seeing pics and would be happy to help program etc.
> later, however I am out of town this week . . .
>
> Is this piece going to be sent abroad or used to travel w/?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew O'Malley
> www.aomalley.org
>

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:05:38 -0400
> > From: Michael Coyle <mirk44 at hotmail.com>
> > Subject: [Lab] Modlab Logo
> > To: "lab at artengine.ca" <lab at artengine.ca>
> >
> > Hey Everyone,
> >
> > As most of you know, at the past few modlabs there has been some work
> and discussion on a functional logo piece that we can use to promote
> connections with some hackerspaces in Europe. We have pretty much finalized
> the look of the piece now, however we still need to confirm the details of
> how the top piece is going to work.
> >
> > We have decided that the concept for the first piece will be either 3
> separate LED's (red, blue and green) or one or two rgb LED's in combination
> with 3 potentiometers to allow control of the colour coming through a clear
> piece of acrylic, frosted with the word "MODULATE".
> >
> > That's where you come in. At the lab tonight, we were hoping to be able
> to confirm the exact wiring (including sourced LED's and potentiometers) as
> well as how exactly we are going to mount them so that they can light up
> the first of two pieces of laser cut acrylic glued flat together.
> >
> > So, come to the lab tonight ready with your ideas, and if you have any
> relevant parts laying around, please bring them too!
> >
> > -Mike Coyle

Mark Stephenson
mark.b.stephenson at gmail.com | m: 613-797-7192
http://tumblr.markbstephenson.com | http://ca.linkedin.com/in/markstephenson