[Lab] Homemade Capacitor

Emily Daniels emily.daniels at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:29:36 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

I've been working on a design that I thought would be a different type of
battery but it seems to discharge too quickly for that, but so far it can
take a charge of 6V DC in 30 sec from a 9V battery and discharge about 3V
when a load is applied (in my test case a 3V LED) in about a minute. It has
a resting charge of .6V DC and 1V AC per cell. I have 4 of them wired
together for the above load tests. It's a type of dry electrolytic cell made
of a non-toxic salt mixture in a hard sugar candy shell with piezoelectric
Rochelle salts (yes you could eat it but I don't think you'd want to) and
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience generating electricity from heat
or vibrations of Rochelle salts or quartz that they could help me with. I
already tested the cells on top of a subwoofer and by heating them with a
hairdryer, which both times there was a .1V fluctuation, but not a build up
of charge, and I cracked a cell. Thanks!

Emily

--
Emily Daniels | emilydaniels.com | @emdaniels | awesomefoundation.org