[Lab] Introducing TugBits.com - a marketplace for makers

Tom Burns tom.i.burns at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:26:59 EDT 2011

Hi Andrew!

I am glad you are interested.  I am a fan of your work!

Thank you for bringing Broodr to my attention, I had not seen it before.

Doesn't Etsy also charge a listing fee?  Our site is free-to-list to
hopefully promote growth, but clearly our original 25% idea is too high.
 Once we internally agree on a lower number I will let the list know :)

While we are not against eventually supporting physical items, to start it
is digital only.  It is a simpler model for everyone involved to not have to
deal with shipping.  Also I am not sure if we want to compete with Etsy.

One of our potential ideas is to partner with existing physical services
like ponoko, sparkfun/mouser, and easy PCB, to offer simple JIT kit
ordering.  For single quantities and multiple-source shipping it might end
up being too expensive compared to traditional sales models.

Another way to look at our target marketplace would be "App Store for
Arduino/CNC/RepRap".

Cheers,
Tom