[Lab] Introducing TugBits.com - a marketplace for makers.

Tom Burns tom.i.burns at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:38:38 EDT 2011

Hi Darcy, thank you for your response!

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Darcy Whyte <darcy at siteware.com> wrote:

> The site looks nice.
>
> 25%? You might find that wanting 1/4 of sale amounts will provide
> significant friction to adoption (for buyers and sellers).

I understand and agree.  Once we are running for awhile we will have some
knowledge of our costs and plan on scaling our cut accordingly.  We'd rather
claim 25% up front and bring it lower in the future than vice-versa and be
accused of bait & switch.  Out of interest, considering the service offered,
what would you consider to be a fair percentage?

> It doesn't have any measures for authenticity (ebay has reviews, web pages
> have in-degree). How can buyers and sellers have as much confidence as they
> have with ebay without those measures?

The state of the site right now is "minimal viable product", so a lot of
features are missing but planned.  Buyers will be able to rate items, and a
seller's rating will be a weighted average of their item's ratings.  As of
right now a logged-in user can comment on an item which gives a simple means
to provide feedback, but a lot more is planned.

> If a person were to list a product for sale on their own Web site, why
> would your Web site sell more? Especially given that having a Web site is
> either free or next to nothing and you keep all the revenue.

We offer a few benefits compared to doing it yourself:
- We are actively marketing this website.  Our success is derived from your
success, so we are trying hard to drive customers to our site, to buy your
product.
- Marketplace visibility.  You will gain exposure by having your items
listed alongside other similar items.
- Simplicity.  You want to spend your time designing and building things,
not writing PayPal integration code.
- Security.  Items purchased with our service are only downloadable by the
buyer.  The payload content is stored on Amazon's S3 servers and without a
generated download key, access is denied.

> I clicked through to the "Domain Name Finder" product at your site.
>
> What you've done there is avoided putting the name of the product in the
> Title Metatag. You put your own buyline there instead. You also didn't put
> product name or information in the H1 tag. In fact you have a blank H1 tag.
>
> With that situation, it reduces the chance that someone can google the
> product successfully.

Thanks!  That is completely a bug.  I've added it to our immediate TODO
list.  We need to fix our SEO, I completely agree.  You should see a fix for
this in the next 48 hours.

> So what would be the reason someone would list on your site rather than
> just make a simple site of their own?

The list I provided above enumerates what I see as our advantages.  It's a
good question!

Cheers,
Tom