[Lab] Part Box

Paul & Andrea Mumby themumbys at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:26:39 EDT 2011

I use a combination. For smaller parts (ICs, Resistors, and individual
components) I use the small plastic multi-drawer units. These can be had at
most hardware stores for a reasonable price. Usually have 1" x 1.5" bins
that are about 6" deep, normally between 20 and 50 of them. The units are a
foot or two high and a foot wide usually. They range in price from $10 to
$40 depending on model/features and if you get them on sale. I got a bunch
of mastercraft ones from canadian tire on sale for like $15 each a while
ago. They stack, and have sockets to hang on screws on the wall.

In addition to those, I use shelves with larger bins. You used to be able to
get them in costco, they have assorted sizes ranging from like 4" square
bins (by about a foot deep) to 10" x 6" bins by a foot deep. Has like 60
bins on it. Metal shelving unit. Good and sturdy, holds heavy or larger
parts well. I think they were around $150 but don't remember clearly.

Hope that helps some.

- Paul