[Lab] Marauder project (around 400 bucks and counting)

John Nicol john_nicol at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:01:21 EDT 2011

Hi Darcy,

The CNCZone forum listed is specifically that board you have in the photo,
not Chinese CNC controllers in general.  It applies to the three and four
axis controllers based on the TB6560.   I have the same three axis one that
you show in the photo purchased of eBay about two months ago.  I am honestly
surprised that it works for you, the design means that the motors share a
ground with your LPT port, so there is no isolation between your PC and the
motors, but as long as the voltages are kept low you shouldn't blow the PC
up.  That is an option though.  Never run it over ~34 V or you will blow the
stepper drivers and risk the LPT port.  The opto-isolators are also wired
wrong in this design and there is significant noise on the stepper driver IC
clock that means a loss of steps for most people.   I run it at 24V.

I have analysed the design as well (being an electronics tech in a previous
life) and can say that I would not recommend that design.  I also tried to
contact the company I bought it off eBay from and they have yet to respond.
There are a few companies in Hong Kong and China that seem to deal in these
boards.  The fixes that are listed in the CNCZone forum will work up to a
point and a few have reported good progress.  I have found that I am losing
too many steps and lots of hair to continue with that board.   I might try
one more suggested fix, which is to bypass the opto-isolator on the clock
and go straight from the LPT pin to try to get a clean signal.

I have seen some newer boards out on eBay that might address these issues,
so looking forward to some reviews on CNCZone before jumping that way again.
Probably just go with HobbyCNC for now.

The big caveat with the above is that if it works for you, then it works and
that is a good thing.

I am just missing electrical, everything else is done and now shopping
around for alternate controllers.

John