[Lab] a-axis design

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Fri Jul 8 08:27:57 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on my a-axis design. Picture:
http://mambohead.com/2011/07/a-axis-2/

When using an A-Axis I was thinking that I could mount the work piece in two
ways. I could have a chuck at one end and a flat plate at the other.

The flat plate would allow me to bolt stuff to it. I guess if it has the
right hole pattern it should be easy to make pulleys. I could cut the bore
and rough the outside using a 2.5D method. I could add the mounting holes
that match the mounting plate on the A-Axis and then finish the pulley or
gear on the A-Axis.

I could also mount odd sized pieces with the plate.

I suppose this plate could be made of 1/2″ thick aluminum? I could drill and
tap the hole to match the threaded rod that I’m using as the main shaft of
my A-Axis assembly.

*Does anybody have a 1/2-20 tap?*
When using an A-Axis I was thinking that I could mount the work piece in two
ways. I could have a chuck at one end and a flat plate at the other.

Darcy