[Lab] make a timing pulley

aaron at ottawarobotics.org aaron at ottawarobotics.org
Wed Jul 6 10:05:05 EDT 2011

CamBam can generate timing gears for a regular 2.5D mill/router.
The problem with cutting it that way is that you don't get nice sharp
edges inside the teeth. I suppose you could do the first pass with a
larger cutting tool to quickly cut the outline and then switch to a
smaller tool to get better tooth definition.

An A axis definitely
makes better teeth though.

A tool like this :
http://svstuff.com/Gears/ does a nice job. Or
http://www.cad2gcode.com/pulley/

The better one is likely Gearotic
(http://gearotic.com/index.html) from the same guy that does Mach3 for
your CNC machine, but it possibly is overkill for what you need.

If
you dig around there are some free plug-ins or g-code generators that
will do timing gears for free but I'd likely spend the $12 or $20 to get
one of the nicer ones from above.

Aaron

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 09:47:40
-0400, Darcy Whyte wrote:

> I'm just about to go to General Bearing
Service to pick up a timing pulley. Once I have it and I complete my
A-Axis for my mill I will be able to make pulleys.
> Does anybody know
the exact shape of a timing pulley? I don't care about the flanges, just
the teeth. Perhaps I could try and make one with a 3-Axis mill? Is there
a code generator for that around? Or some shapes that will work?