[Lab] protein jar tumblers

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sun Jul 3 13:24:09 EDT 2011

I finally found some empty plastic protein jars to use for my rock tumbling
project. They are large (like a gallon) and they have a wide mouth. The
plastic is very tough so I think they will be okay as rock tumblers. They
may be made of vinyl I'm not sure.

Anyways, any ideas of how to install rubs inside them so the rocks don't
just slide inside?

I'm just a little concerned that it will be hard to glue unless I can find
the right solvent.

One thing I thought of is to add a disk underneath the lid. So when you go
to add the lid (like a peanut jar lid), you first put down a disk as if it
were a seal. The lid would go over top of this disk and hold it in place.

Then the disk could have some agitators attached to it so that as
the assembly turns the agitators rotate inside the container and make sure
the stones don't slide.

Any thoughts?

http://mambohead.com/2011/06/rock-tumbler-first-run/