[Lab] small pulleys and stuff

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sat Jul 2 16:05:46 EDT 2011

That's a great idea!

So I'm down to:

-Finish my plastic extruder
http://mambohead.com/2011/05/makergear-extruder-batch-5/ (that might be okay
for making some press on ones)

-Finish the A-Axis for my mill. http://mambohead.com/2011/02/4th-axis/ I've
already upgraded the electrical to a 4-axis and I have the chuck (with a
1/2-20 thread on it's backplate). All I need to do is get the chuck mounted
and a stepper connected. I'm figuring a timing belt is the answer. I got
some aluminum. I still need the timing pulleys and belt, bearings and the
1/2-20 threaded rod to use as a shaft.

-Try your method. I guess I could get a chunk of plastic (perhaps acrylic
rod) into the chuck. I suppose if I pretended that the ZY axis is the XY
axis and just make gcode to the profile of the pulley it would work. But how
to get the hole into it to press on the motor?

Actually your method would work great by just mounting the stock in a drill
chuck and then turning it manually with some cutting tool. I suppose it
might be easy to find the center for drilling while it's in the chuck as
well.