[Lab] arduino hardware

Paul (Maker Engineering) paul at makerengineering.com
Wed Jan 19 17:00:47 EST 2011

I'm planning on using and ARM Cortex chip for my new 3D printer design. And
they are a lot cheaper than you would think. The STM32 flavour is especially
affordable, and you can get the development board for only $10 (the STM32
Discovery series of boards, very similar in layout and size to an arduino
mega). And they are nice powerful little processors . And you can develop
for them with opensource toolchains, and there is tons of opensource code
targeted to the arm platform already.

Just a thought.

Other than that I don't know of a "cheap" source for the arduino really...
But as others mentioned here, the schematics and such are freely available
for all the arduino boards. So you could build one yourself for a reasonable
price most likely... Only catch is a programmer, although if your
electronics skills are solid building a programmer from inexpensive parts
isn't super hard either.

- Paul