[Lab] arduino hardware

Tom Burns tom.i.burns at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:34:21 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're dedicated to using an arduino, but a cheaper (albeit
much simpler and smaller chip without as friendly a programming environment)
alternative would be the texas instrument launchpad.  The development board,
usb programmer, and 2 chips cost under $10.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP430_LaunchPad_(MSP-EXP430G2)?DCMP=launchpad&HQS=Other+OT+launchpadwiki

Alternately if you need to use arduino software, you could just get the
atmega chip and supporting hardware (crystal, caps, voltage regulator &
battery terminal if powering off batteries) and build your own board with a
protoboard from radio shack or similar.  You'll also need to get a
programmer for the AVR chips which will initially cost more than the cost of
an arduino but after a few boards will save you lots of money compared to
buying an arduino for every project.

Tom