[Lab] Got extra EL wire?

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Wed Jan 5 15:01:43 EST 2011

Definitely wait until after Winterlude and for warmer weather then.  No rush!

What I'll probably do then is order a small quantity and a couple of inverters (one to use as-is and the other to hack for audio-modulation) from Adafruit to get started with proof-of-concept.  See http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=50

Thanks!

Andrew.

On 2011-01-05, at 2:47 PM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:59:32AM -0500, Andrew Plumb wrote:
>> Hey Richard,
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
>> Will you be able to make it out this evening?
>
> I hope so.
>
>> If you have any of that EL wire left, I'd be interested in buying some
>> lengths of each colour from you.  I'm curious to see if short lengths
>> could be used to hook up piezo elements (the 90V type) for active and
>> passive sensing, actuation and "visible sound" projects.
>
> Interesting!
>
> How much of each colour are you seeking?  Will you need a driver?
> I have 175' of blue, 165' green and 80' red, cut up in lengths of 50' or
> less.  The drivers are good for 25-50', but if you have less than 25' of
> wire, the driver could be loaded with an appropriate capacitive load
> (maybe even resistive).
>
> It is still all connected to the parade float in the garage.  The end of
> season pretty much happenned around the parade, so I had no great need
> to dismantle the float and I've just had a suggestion to try and work
> something out for Winterlude.  It would be better I suspect to remove it
> once it warms up to avoid the possibility of cracking it.  The cold
> itself shouldn't be an issue if it isn't moved and it is protected from
> UV.
>

>> Andrew.
>
> 	slainte mhath, RGB
>
> --
> Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
> <www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!
> Ottawa, ON, CANADA                  --  Lo_>__M__\\/\%__\\/\%

Makerbot Number Nine... #9... 0x09... 0o11... 0b1001...
http://clothbot.com/wiki/MakerBotNumberNine