[Lab] ideas for small spindle for small cnc

Paul (Maker Engineering) paul at makerengineering.com
Wed Feb 9 20:48:29 EST 2011

Oh and not sure about that one in particular but most drill press chucks are
friction fit. (very slightly tapered hole and you pound it on)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/Chucks/PRD~0545561P/Mastercraft%252B3%25252B8-in.%252BChuck%252BWith%252BKey.jsp?locale=en

>> <
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/Chucks/PRD~0545561P/Mastercraft%252B3%25252B8-in.%252BChuck%252BWith%252BKey.jsp?locale=en
>probably
>> designed to fit on a standard shaft (like 8mm, or 6mm rod cut to length,
>> maybe turned down a bit).
>
> How does it attach to the shaft?
>
>> Mount a pulley on that, to drive it by belt
>>
>> Then drive it with one of these:
>> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8480
>>
>> <http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8480
>Capable
>> of 40,000 RPM at 12V, and at max power (which you would have a hard time
>> sourcing the amps for), it can put out half a horsepower (in it's optimal
>> power band).
>
> Holy crap! that's barely larger than a cubic inch!
>
>> Power the motor with something like one of these guys:
>> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9299
>>
>> <http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9299
>with
>> a small fan on it (or hell mount a fan on the shaft of the motor before
the
>> pulley and use the backwash to cool the motor and the ESC). Feed it
direct
>> 12V from your PSU, and feed it a pwm servo signal to accurately control
>> speed of the spindle.
>
> A PC AT or ATX power supply modded should be easily able to supply that.
>
>> Simple, effective, and affordable. :)
>>
>> - Paul
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Darcy Whyte <darcy at siteware.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Great idea.
>> >
>> > I could run the spindle chuck from a belt or I could try and find a
chuck
>> > that could mount on the shaft. Nothing shows up in ebay but I don't
know
>> > what to search for. I'll keep fishing around...
>> >
>> > Darcy

Motor,