[Lab] Can you 3D print for me?

Paul & Andrea Mumby themumbys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:17:52 EDT 2011

I have taken the liberty to whip up a quick "Wheel Generator" in OpenSCAD...
Probably doesn't rival something that Andrew Plumb would put out ;) but it
should get the job done...

It's set for higher precision circles, and lets you tune all the parameters
you like to make a nice wheel...

Just download OpenSCAD from http://www.openscad.org/ (scroll down to the
releases page, I'm using the windows version just extracted the zip and ran
from the folder).

then open up my script (attached) at the top there are several lines of
parameters you can change about the wheel. When done tweaking, hit F5 to
render it and see what it looks like... you can revise as much as you like
and keep hitting F5 to re-render.

When done just send the scad file back to me and I can render it out to an
STL and print from that.

Or if you wish you can hit F6 to render CGAL, then go to the design menu,
and export as STL, and most people should be able to print from that, or cut
it on a CNC I would imagine.

Let me know if you want me to print it. I believe I might have enough
plastic on the UP (more coming Friday I believe) and I hope to have my
reprap back in working order by tomorrow (and it has tons of plastic lol)

- Paul