[Lab] Another requests - tell us about your projects

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sat Nov 20 11:00:15 EST 2010

Here are a few things I'm working on:

I just cooked up a blog to support my creative endeavors at
http://www.mambohead.com. I'll add more of my projects there or update hear,
which ever you prefer.

Darcy

Title: CNC Laser Cutter with Vacuum Pick and Place
tube, 25,000 volt power supply from china. I made the frame from yo-yo and
roller blade bearings using aluminum angle.  I have a 4 axis controller from
zylotec. It is controlled by EMC2 running under Linux.
Team: Darcy Whyte, Ottawa Robotics, ArtEngine, Micheal Grant, Paul Mumby,
various penpals from the internet
Duration: Summer 2010

Title: CNC Milling Machine
inches high). I want to be able to cut aluminum but the bulk of the fun will
be cutting plastics, wood and other soft material.
Team: Darcy Whyte, China!
Duration: December 2010

Title: Plastic Extruder (like reprap/makerbot cupcake)
Team: Darcy Whyte, Andrew Plumb
Duration: Research started in Nov 2010

Title: CNC Router
the internet. I raised the project with the Ottawa group (as did a couple of
others) but nobody has come forward in Ottawa yet that seems serious enough.
I have joined up with the Toronto Hacker group which seems more serious.
There are 5 being built including mine. I have the entire control system
(except spindle speed) so I'm just waiting for the group to make an order
and I'll go to toronto go get my kit.
Team: Darcy Whyte, Ottawa Robotics, Toronto Hackerspace
Duration: January 2011

Title: Electric Rooster
picture. It is a rooster that has an electric generator hanging underneath
it. The observer cranks the generator and it provides electricity to an
electric motor installed which drives a rubber band over hand made balsa
pulleys to make the wings, feet, tail and head move. This was installed at
Atomic Rooster Pub where a buyer was found. Apparently it has changed hands
once already.
Team: Darcy Whyte
Duration: September 2010

Title: CNC Wire Bending and Cutting
Current issues: The wire spool is problematic. The bender cant make a sharp
enough bend. I've not made the cutter yet.
Team: Darcy Whyte, will recruit Micheal Grant. :)
Duration: Summer 2010

Title: Clave Rooster
will listen in on the room noise and detect music. Once detected it will
start to play a clave rhythm with the music. It will play no more than 4
times per hour for about 30 seconds each time. The roster head will turn
towards it's instrument and then to the viewer for each count of 8 in the
music. The head will follow observers in general. Arduino is a candidate for
control. Project may require an array of servos.
Team: Darcy Whyte, Community yet to be recruited
Duration: October 2010 - August 2011

Title: Paint-o-matic
takes away.
Team: Darcy Whyte
Duration: Started summer 2010

Title: Simplified Model Airplane
easy to build yet can fly as well as the current designs. The design was
called Squirrel and is now the most popular beginner model airplane in the
world.
Team: Darcy Whyte
Duration: Nov-December 2004, commercialization summer 2009

Title: GeneralSocial
within a folksonomy, locale and temporal data to create a platform for
innovation and social relationships.
Team: Darcy Whyte, Dr. Lani Haque (Mathemetician), Sanjay Belkhode (business
partnership disolved)
Duration: Started 2005

Title:
a wearable version of this that interacts with smartphones through blue
tooth. It would be attached to parts of your body that move the most so that
it could span out messages.
Duration: