[Lab] USB Snooping (Was: kinect hacked almost as a 3d scaner)

Tom Burns tom.i.burns at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 12:39:29 EST 2010

Hi Richard,

It's most likely the hardware analyzer is overkill but if you need it to do
a dump we can meet up and do so.  I can't really let it leave my hands as
it's my work's, not mine :)

However you can probably get a similar USB dump using software-only methods.

For windows, http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/ is possibly the best.

There's a guide to using it here:
http://jespersaur.com/drupal/book/export/html/21

Some devices (apple ipods for example) detect the presence of libusb or
usbsnoop on the host system and will not work in that case (to prevent
reverse engineering).  In cases like that you need the hardware analyzer (or
when USB communication fails and you don't know if it's the host or slave
that's screwing it up).

Cheers,
Tom