[Lab] plastics source

krazatchu . krazatchu at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 12:24:12 EST 2010

Not a clue about where in Ottawa but I'll give you some advice on milling plastics to make the choice easier...
Milling plastic is often comparable to steel, low speed, coolant, hog it hard...
Some plastics are real nasty to machine, too fast on the cutter and they burn or form astro turf...

Some forms of Nylon fall into this category ... I've had good luck with the Nylatron series (IIRC 908 & 808)...
But nylon is dimensionally unstable with respect to moisture if that applies to you app...
UHMWPE is generally better for milling, as well as harder, slipperier and more expensive...

The cheapest I've found is phenolic which doesn't have a great finish after milling and smells a bit if it gets too warm...
The pump body here http://krazatchu.ca/?page_id=468 is phenolic, the wheel is 908....

There are lots of good charts online for deciding on what plastic to use ...
Here's one http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_technical_data_sheets/engineering_plastics_machining_guide.pdf

And remember to use a sharp end mill, I used to keep one for plastic and wood only, it makes a big difference....

Michael