[Lab] Fab Fair in the Fall

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Thu May 13 23:09:33 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-13, at 9:32 PM, Ryan Stec wrote:
> Was thinking these last few days about how to involve the Mod Lab in Electric Fields in the fall (EF is our festival of electronic art and music), and was wondering what people thought of doing something like a Maker Fair for a single evening. It would be on the Wednesday and could be upstairs at Arts Court in the theatre and studio (for those who went to the Pecha Kucha it would be in the same place).
>
> Ideally it would be probably good to have a set number of tables and create a committee and submission process, but we could reserve a certain number of tables for a lottery to keep it open to chance.

Hey Ryan,

Has a date been set for EF?  I don't see anything at http://www.artengine.ca/community/calendar-en.php

If it were some time in October then it could coincide with Halloween animatronic construction activities.

Lindsay's TEDxKids event is Thursday, Sept. 16th so she and others (myself demoing my MakerBot) will likely be bogged down with last-minute prep activities leading up to it.

> Be curious to know what people would think of this, especially those of you who have had the chance to attend a Maker Fair.

I haven't, but Sebastien should be able to fill us in on all the details when he returns+recovers from this weekend's MakerFaire in San Francisco.

Also, Maker Faire NYC (see http://makerfaire.com/newyork/2010/callformakers/) is the weekend of Sept 25-26.  The more I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself we could round up enough people over the next three months to charter a coach bus for that road trip!

Logistics-wise, is that something ArtEngine has experience with?  If not ArtEngine specifically, perhaps some of the other groups at Arts Court (Ottawa Symphony Orchestra would be my best guess) can offer advice & experience w.r.t. reliable bus lines (experienced with crossing the Canada/US border), locating preferred hotels near the site (http://www.nysci.org/), other per-person costs for budgeting (e.g. insurance and/or liability coverage requirements), other Canada/US border/embassy preparation activities, etc.

Having EF after Maker Faire NYC would allow for some extra knowledge transfer to the local community.  Maybe enough momentum will get going for a formal "Maker Faire Canada/Ontario/Ottawa" event in the not-too-distant future!

Think big or go home! ;-) Thoughts?

Andrew.

--

"The future is already here.  It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

Me: http://clothbot.com/wiki/