[Lab] 3D Printer Assembly + Artengine Blog
andrew at plumb.org
Mon May 3 10:36:32 EDT 2010
Did anyone get back to you on documenting the process? I'll bring along my own HV20 (with Raynox HD-7000PRO wide angle lens), tripod and a few tapes to set up in a corner and capture activity in addition to whatever others are doing.
Software to install on the ArtEngine Mac(s):
-Arduino 0018 if it's not there already.
- ReplicatorG 0014: http://replicat.org/download
- Installation instructions: http://replicat.org/installation-mac
- If you haven't done any arduino stuff, be sure to explicitly install the included FTDI USB2TTL drivers.
- Python (preferably v2.6) if it's not there already.
- I use MacPorts (http://www.macports.org/) for my CLI tools.
- SkeinFox, v1.5: http://wiki.github.com/jmil/SkeinFox/
- A more friendly UI for skeinforge slicing models.
- Install git-126.96.36.199 for OS X: http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/downloads/list?can=3
- Download & Install SkeinFox: http://github.com/jmil/SkeinFox/downloads
- Pleasant3D: http://www.pleasantsoftware.com/developer/pleasant3d/index.shtml
- For visualizing STL models before slicing and the resulting GCode after slicing.
- Very useful for centring and repositioning STL models for optimal build platform printing.
- MeshLab: http://www.meshlab.org/
- Useful for troubleshooting 3D model issues, converting between formats, scaling from imperial to metric units, etc.
- Google SketchUp 7 (not Pro): http://sketchup.google.com/download/gsu.html
- Blender 2.49b: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
- OpenSCAD: http://openscad.org/
- Use the "openscad-latest.dmg" version: http://www.kintel.net/public/openscad-latest.dmg
That should cover the essentials!
On 2010-04-29, at 10:56 AM, Ryan Stec wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
> I thought I would send out a bit more advanced notice of the next Mod Lab as the MakerBot kit is in and hopefully people can make it out for this one.
> I actually will not be able too as I must go to a festival in Montreal starting on Wednesday.
> I am wondering also if someone would like to document the process and do a blog entry for the Artengine blog. We pay a whopping $50 for the entries, but at least it makes it so you are not volunteering ;) Drop me an email if you are interested.
> Artengine AD
> Lab mailing list
> Lab at artengine.ca
"The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson
More information about the Lab