[Lab] International Open Data Hackfest 2010

Daniel Beauchamp daniel.beauchamp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 02:28:49 EST 2010

       [image: Logo]         The international open data hackfest is
happening December 4th 2010 You're Invited. When? December 4th, 2010 from
1PM to 5PM

Where?City Hall, Champlain Room (110 Laurier Avenue West)

Register for the hackfestOver
here<http://opendataottawa.createsend1.com/t/r/l/ssyhy/uyhiiijdi/r>
        What is a hackfest?

Wish you had something to show waiting times for hospitals/clinics nearby?
What about a website or mobile app that helped you explore local restaurants
via your neighbourhood bloggers? Show up and we'll make it happen.

This Saturday, meet up with fellow artists, developers, designers,
librarians, data-wranglers, and curious citizens like yourself to make
fun/crazy things with open data that just might make your life better. We're
happy to be doing this in coordination with the City of Ottawa to promote
the $50 000 app
contest<http://opendataottawa.createsend1.com/t/r/l/ssyhy/uyhiiijdi/y>that's
ending this January. Yes, you read that right; There's a total of $50
000 in prizes for awesome applications surrounding open data in our city.
How does the hackfest work?

When you show up, our greeters will ask what sort of things you're
interested in. We then introduce you to tons of other talented people so you
can share ideas and hopefully get started on a project. We'll also be
running small tutorials on using open data and making it work for you.
Nothing is compulsory except for having a sense of adventure and a passion
for making.

After a few hours of brainstorming and hacking together ideas, we showcase
our creations and pass them on to local media for them to help promote.
How is this one different?

We've gone international! On December 4th, 63 other cities in 25 countries
over 5 continents<http://opendataottawa.createsend1.com/t/r/l/ssyhy/uyhiiijdi/j>will
be hacking on open data with us. We'll have visualizations running to
show work announced over Twitter across the world.

We're also cooking up an exclusive open data Chatroulette-like service so
you can chat with people at other international hackfests.
 How can you find out more?

You can check up on ideas and share your own on our
wiki<http://opendataottawa.createsend1.com/t/r/l/ssyhy/uyhiiijdi/t>.
It's a great way to find out the latest and greatest projects being
worked
on, such as the
redesign<http://opendataottawa.createsend1.com/t/r/l/ssyhy/uyhiiijdi/i>for
Fixmystreet.ca. Awesome, isn't it? The wiki is also a good way to find
local and international open data opportunities.

Registration is FREE, and you can do it over
here<http://opendataottawa.createsend1.com/t/r/l/ssyhy/uyhiiijdi/d>
.

The Open Data Ottawa team looks forward to seeing you on December 4th!
     Unsubscribe from this mailing
list<http://opendataottawa.createsend1.com/t/r/u/ssyhy/uyhiiijdi/>