[Gridflow-dev] [PD] pd2png : screenshots of patchs

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 20 03:00:16 EDT 2013

Le 2013-05-20 à 09:20:00, s p a écrit :

> Even though PDF is an open spec, Adobe still has some patents on it.

Doesn't seem to stop anybody in the free software world, even though GPL
is incompatible with patents. Do those patents matter ?

> PS on the other hand is a very specific format that's almost not used
> anywhere else than for printers.

PDF is just a binary version of PS. It's essentially the same format.

> - it is not only an image format, but also a data container. In our case
> it holds information about what's in your patch.

Then you open a SVG file in a SVG editor, and then save it, and all that
extra data is gone, because the editor didn't think about remembering it.

Anyway, what extra data will you put there, and especially, who will read
it, how ?

> > There are plenty of image conversion tools from many formats to many
> >others
>
> Good luck in trying a conversion tool raster -> vector that gives you
> meaningful results.

When the point is to have pixel-perfect reproduction, I precisely don't
want a vectorisation to happen. And I've usually wanted a pixel-perfect
reproduction, though vectorial representations are also useful.

> In that sense SVG is more central than a raster format.

Yup...