[Gridflow-dev] [PD] pd2png : screenshots of patchs

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 20 00:12:20 EDT 2013

Le 2013-05-15 à 18:46:00, s p a écrit :

> Well ... basically to me the way to go is really with SVG as a starting
> point. Because once you have SVG, you can use one of hundred different
> tools to convert to PNG, JPG or any image format you can dream of.

Well, that's not a real reason. There are plenty of image conversion tools
from many formats to many others. Several other formats were already
convertible by hundreds of tools before svg existed.

The reason you pick one of the « vector » formats is because you want a
scalable picture, and the reason you pick one of the raster formats is
because you want to have it just like it is on screen. In that sense,
converting a patch directly to a vector format is not a « screenshot ».

And within the vector formats, ps and pdf have been plenty portable since
very long. The claim of higher portability (« even more cross-platform »
in your other mail) looks like just another epistle from the Holy Church
of XML, who talk like they invented interoperability and as if their
formats were magically better at it.

PS : I'm not replying on pd-list because I'm not subscribed.