[Gridflow-dev] [PD] OpenMP and Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 6 14:21:06 EST 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Pedro Lopes wrote:

> Yep, the idea behind openMP is related to what you normally call
> directives or pragmas[1]. OpenMP offers a set of such directives so you
> can choose ways to parallelize *chunks* of your code accordingly to the
> best option you want. List of pragmas here [2]. The very basic example
> is a parallel for:

Ok, well, I think that it's going to be hard to parallelise GridFlow like
that, because almost all loops are medium-sized (more than enough for
SIMD, but far from making sense for multithreading) and/or it makes too
many calls to other functions in other objects that will have to be
waiting for data to come in, due to GridFlow's packet-oriented nature
(packets more like TCP/IP, not like PDP, but still based on
function-calls).