[Gridflow-dev] new [#camera] in GridFlow 9.9

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Apr 10 15:10:27 EDT 2010

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Works for me on an HP laptop with built in webcam :)
> The default v4l1 didn't work, but libv4l1 does, with:
> claude at zebimus:~$ dmesg | grep -i uvc
> [   14.878523] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device HP Webcam (064e:a102)

victoire !

> I think #camera-help.pd could do without the [#scale_by] (as 640x480 * 2
> = 1280x960 which is big!),

ok, made optional using [shunt]...

> also it took a few tries to realize that
> inside [#camera] I have to select API first, then device, then
> resolution - easy when you know how.

well, I thought so, and I had put the API at the top left because of that,
but then I realised that I expected too much to be selecting the camera at
the top left, so I inverted the position of camera vs API.

then I thought, that if the API usually defaults to the correct one for
most users, when it might be better to make people focus on the camera
number, by putting it in the top left corner.

Btw, the API detection will eventually change, and so might other things
as well... for example, v4l1 will disappear if there are no reasons
anymore to use it, that is, if libv4l1 replaces it completely, whereas in
turn, v4l2 might disappear very quickly in favour or libv4l2, and
eventually, libv4l1 will disappear when libv4l2 is able to replace it. So,
in the end, for v4l, the API selector is something I see as a temporary
solution, though globally, it's a good idea for improving portability of
patches that use [#camera 0] for example... and those that would have used
[#camera 9] until now... etc... and for allowing more possible choices
without cramming everything in one big slider... for example, anyone
noticed the big [vradio] in a version of [#camera] a few days ago ? It had
22 choices... and out of them, only one was for dc1394... but more
realistically, I think that OSX users would more quickly bust their limit
of 4 cameras that was in the former [#camera] menu (though
[#io.quicktimecamera] supported more than that already).