[Gridflow-dev] Gridflow crashing with camera

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Oct 16 07:39:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, gnd at itchybit.org wrote:

> [11982.417627] pd[1723]: segfault at 6c6c6966 ip b5f320eb sp bfb56c30
> error 4 in gridflow.pd_linux[b5ec1000+2f0000] (in case i try to open a
> existing cam device) [12010.729871] pd[1730]: segfault at 4 ip b762d5dc
> sp bf9f08c0 error 6 in libstdc++.so.6.0.10[b7574000+e4000] (in case i
> click on a nonexistent cam)

So can you get the latter error to disappear by loading Gem before
gridflow, and perhaps running Gem 0.92, or a test version of the upcoming
pd-extended, or whatever else that makes the "fglrx" problem disappear?

I don't remember whether you got rid of it, but it's quite important to do
so, because that crash also happens instead of nearly every informative
error message too!

> If i try to access my cam through v4l in VLC i get a garbled non-moving
> image. Might this be the reason why Gridflow crashes (eg. using V4L
> instead of V4L2 ?).

Yes. I want to switch to libv4l rather soon now, which is something even
better than plain V4L2. I was thinking about getting into V4L2 in 2006 or
so, but my conclusion was that it wouldn't feel a lost cause if libv4l
actually existed. Eventually, it started existing, so, I don't know what
I'm waiting for now.

(libv4l is a slight variation on V4L2 but also adds automatic converters
for every pixel format in current use by V4L2, so that we don't have to
spend our lives adding extra decoders in our apps).