[Gridflow-dev] [PD] Gridflow Installation Help (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Oct 26 16:32:59 EDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:25:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
To: Fanouris Moraitis <fmoraitis at gmail.com>
Cc: pd-list at iem.at
Subject: Re: [PD] Gridflow Installation Help

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Fanouris Moraitis wrote:

> The only thing that I had to change was in the Makefile the
> cp -a to cp -r because the first  as it seems is not supported in Os X.

-r is not the equivalent of -a; -r applies only to directory; in this case it's
completely useless; in the case of GridFlow, -a isn't even so useful; maybe
that I should have used ln -s instead anyway. In GridFlow 0.8.5 (CVS only), -a
is gone.

> So now that I have my gridflow.pd_darwin i did the following I made the .pdrc
> file and wrote -lib gridflow also i copied the whole gridflow directory to
> /Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra

You should not copy that directory. Instead, use ln -s to create an alias, or
add a -path line to "~/.pdrc".

> Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/../extra/gridflow/gridflow.pd_darwin:
> dlopen(/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/../extra/gridflow/gridflow.pd_darwin,
> 10): Symbol not found: __ZN9CPPExtern10m_holdnameE Referenced from:
> /Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/../extra/gridflow/gridflow.pd_darwin

On Linux, this would be because you didn't load Gem before gridflow, so you'd
have to do this:

   -lib Gem -lib gridflow

But I remember that with Koray I tried to do it and it didn't work, and we
traced it back to the "private mode" that Pd uses in loading .pd_darwin files,
which prevents GridFlow from accessing anything in GEM.

To fix that problem, you have to modify the Pd source code, or switch to Linux,
or use a version of Pd that doesn't have that problem (if there's one).