[Gridflow-dev] osx ruby/ruby configure

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Mar 21 22:32:50 EST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, james tittle wrote:
>
>> ...hunh...that worked :-)  Then fftw.c compiled, but now we're
>> hitting a bad
>> link flag:
>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-g++-4.0.1: unrecognized option '-shared'
>> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrypt
>> ...I just removed -shared from the LDSHARED in Makefile, but that
>> triggers a
>> full recompile...we'll see if it worx!
>
> I got rid of mkmf.rb, which was handling part of the platform-specific
> flags. I also might have lost some that were handwritten in ./
> configure;
> my idea was that, to readapt things for OSX, it'd be easier to do
> ./configure with 0.8.1 and then compare the Makefile with the new
> one to
> see what should be added.
>
> I think that -lcrypt is a GNU/Linux-specific flag.

...ok, had to remove "-shared", "-lcrypt", and do:

LDSHARED = $(CXX) -undefined dynamic_lookup

...then I was able to complete the compile using:

"MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 make"

...nifty!  The deployment target is necessary to make "-undefined
dynamic_lookup" work:  might be able to add "-mmacosx-version-
min=10.3" to the link line, but I haven't tested (seems like xcode
does this for gem)...

...anyway, I added the path and such to my pd.app, relaunched, and
got the following:

setting up Ruby-for-PureData...
gridflow.pd_darwin found itself in /Users/tigital/puredataDev/gridflow
we are using Ruby version 1.8.4
(done)
ERROR: Cannot load GridFlow-for-Ruby (gridflow.so)

...any ideas?

jamie