[Gridflow-dev] irc meeting on monday

Alexandre Castonguay acastonguay at artengine.ca
Sat Apr 30 12:02:23 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Thanks for posting this announcement Mathieu.  Here are some items that we
should discuss.  This is followed by a little background info describing
where this effort comes from.

1 - I think we need to schedule regular meetings and agree on using this list
as well as the irc channel to exchange info.

2 - How can we dovetail with the rest of the puredata documentation project?

3 - Should we develop a beginner workshop for GridFlow in partnership with
artengine, matju and the UfO?

4- I'd like us to form a list of the top 10 requests of students/artists
wanting to work with pd/gf?

5 - we need to be able to assess the success of our work, I wrote that we
would administer a survey to participants of future workshops (sorry this is
for my grant ;-)

Here is some background info :

I got a grant to hire Darsha and Stephanie for 2 months to work on a research
project in order to facilitate learning pd / gf in classes at the UfO.  This
is the short description of the research project (french only sorry) :

"Realiser une interface graphique intuitive, reformuler un wiki et mettre en
place d'autres moyens de communications afin de faciliter l'apprentissage de
PureData par nos etudiants."

This proposal is the result of what I witnessed in my classes and in working
with artists and pd :

1)La programmation (meme avec un environnement de programmation graphique)
n'est pas familiere aux artistes.  Ceci peut conduire a un decouragement
hatif.
2)L'interface de PureData est austere et ne guide pas les utilisateurs dans
leur apprentissage.
3)Les artistes, comme les etudiants, sont motives par leurs besoins dans
l'apprentissage d'un langage de programmation, le programme doit avoir un but
precis comme la realisation d'une oeuvre d'art.
4)L'installation du logiciel et la configuration de l'environnement de
production n'est pas facile.
5)Les participants ne font que rarement appel a l'aide qui peut etre offerte
par la communaute des utilisateurs.
6)Les concepts et la terminologie des langages de programmation sont le plus
souvent accessibles en anglais seulement.

I realize that the interface idea is maybe not where the most urgent needs are
and that it requires way more resources than what I have for non-students
(~1000$) but I think that doing a proof-of-concept interface to a pd server
would mean continued funding ;-).  Since we have the flashserver already I
suggest using flash for this.

Cheers,

Alexandre