From Mod Lab
Revision as of 22:04, 17 November 2010 by ClothBot
Getting started with the ArtEngine MakerBot.
Where it lives
In a cupboard in the M70 lab.
The Mac Mini
- Hook up the small LCD panel
- Hook up the keyboard and trackpad or mouse
- Power it up
- Plug in the power supply
- Plug the USB cable into the Mac Mini
- Turn on the MakerBot PSU (back of the bot)
- Turn on the MakerBot motherboard (small black slider switch on the largest side board)
Preparing to Print
This is your main point of interaction with the MakerBot.
Open Your Model
- Pick File - Open...
- Click the Scale button to view the scale operations. If your model is much larger or much smaller than expected. STL is unit-less and some programs export in 1 unit = 1 inch instead of the expected 1 unit = 1 mm.
- Click the Move button to view the object reposition operations.
- Click Center to position the object at Z=0 on the build platform.
- Click Generate GCode
- Pick a printing profile: artengine-abs-0908
- Enable the Use raft checkbox.
- Click Ok
Warm Up the Extruder
- Pick Machine - Control Panel
- Set the Target Temperature to 220.0
- Click outside the field to engage the heater. You should see the blue line jump to 220C and the red line start to rise.
- Wait until the Current Temperature reaches the target temperature.
- Set the Motor Speed (PWM) to 255.
- Click the Motor Control - forward button. The extruder motor should start to turn.
- Cut the filament flat with the cross-cutters and feed the filament into the top of the extruder.
- When the small noodle of extruded plastic starts to come out fast (not just oozing out), click Motor Control - stop